
The other day, I went to the post office to get stamps for sending Valentines Day cards: I had to stand in line to buy them since the stamp machine only accepts cash.
I was there for nearly 50 minutes, but I was able to overhear two young ladies' conversation about their lives. I'm sure these two ladies were friends for a while. But I'm sure they had never gone into the hearts of each other...meaning, until that trip to the post office (which I was a witness of) they had never poured out their hearts about each others lives.
The story of one of the ladies went something like this:
"see, I hate my father for walking out on us, but living with him was the only option for me. i'm so lucky for having no school debt." This broke my heart for her...
The story of the other girl went something like this:
"well, see, I didn't have it as great as you did: I was born in DC. It was just my mother and me. She couldn't afford having me here with her so she sent me back to my country with my 2 older sisters and one of my older brothers. I was taken care of pretty well. I went to school and became fluent in Spanish. At the age of 8, my mother brought me back to the states, put me in school and I was so happy to be with my mother. It was like a dream come true, except my mom hated me. The moment she saw me: I saw hatred in her eyes. I tried for years to become the daughter she wanted me to be. I would come home, cook, clean, study, wait for her to come home. That was my every day. One day she came home and asked me to make tortillas. I was quite familiar in making them, but it wasn't good enough. She asked me to make a nice circle on or else I'd never have a man look at me. I tried. It resulted in her throwing the masa in my face and being abused. That was the day I left. I lived with my brother for some time until his wife kicked me out, I went to a shelter until I met my foster family. They were so great to me. They are my parents now. I had to leave their home because I did not want to burden them with money for my education. I went to assisted living and later was admitted to school. Now I have to keep my job to pay my loans.....my dad? yea, i met him once. my mom? i haven't spoken to her since. I don't get any phone calls for birthdays, Christmas, etc. I tried calling her...."
At that moment, I wanted to turn around, hug these girls, thank them for being a blessing to me just by sharing their lives, pray for them, (I was eavesdropping so I would have apologized first); I would have loved to share how God sent His One and Only Child to save us from our sins. I wish I would have had the Bible with me to share everything good God has done in my life and share that they both can I have it too!! I prayed for them instead....and I believe those prayers are worth as much as anything else I could have done.
No comments:
Post a Comment